You’ve probably seen the advertisements throughout all the media sources, and may have even seen some products in your local grocery store talking about the amazing attributes of the Acai Berry.Â What you may have been asking yourself is what is this Acai thing?
Acai has been around for many years, we just didn’t know about it. It is a berry grown in the rain forests of Amazon, and wasn’t introduced to the “civilized” world until about a decade ago. The native people of the Amazon region of South America have been using this wonder berry for centuries to alleviate several ailments, and as an energy booster.
When researchers were introduced to theAcai berry, they found out how important it could be to the health and well being of the rest of the world. They realized this berry contained a number of nutritional properties, and could also be used to help prevent certain diseases. Some of the qualities of this berry include:
- Antioxidants â€“ can help the body fight free radicals, such as smog, cigarette smoke, even some of the damaging effects of the sun.
- Calcium â€“ as we know helps prevent osteoporosis and promotes healthy bone growth, but can also help alleviate menstrual pains from cramping and bloating.
- Lower Cholesterol Levels â€“ Acai berries have a high fiber content, which helps to lower cholesterol levels, and can even help prevent colon cancer.
- Macro Minerals â€“ some of these mineral include potassium, magnesium, sulfur, and phosphorous, which can help with acne, menopausal complications, and improve heart health.
- Low Glycemic Index â€“ a lower glycemic index means carbohydrates break down and absorb into the blood stream slower, which raises sugar levels slower. This is good for diabetics; it is also good for weight control because it can help delay hunger.
- Increased Energy â€“ since Acai berries have high antioxidant properties, this boosts the immune system. The benefit of which can be increased energy and endurance.
- High Celadrin levels â€“ Celadrin is a natural anti-inflammatory made up of fatty acids, these fatty acids help lubricate joints, which can reduce stress to these areas of the body.
Since the Acai Berry only has a 12-24 hour shelf life, for many of us to enjoy its benefits, we’ll have to look for it as a juice, or as a powdered supplement. Both forms contain all the same nutritional and disease fighting properties as the natural fruit.
If you decide to take Acai on a regular basis, be sure to speak to your physician about this choice and ask for any recommendations to increase it’s benefits. Making certain improvements to your eating habits, exercising regularly, and taking certain prescribed medication as instructed can all help to make Acai one of your best dietary choices.